HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Arrow rotation, is it important?
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2004, 04:24 PM
NickSnook

Default RE: Arrow rotation, is it important?

The high rate of spin is a benefit.
Because the arrow takes a little energy from the bow string to get it spinning (stabilized) It can keep stability with 80% less vanes. Because of the much smaller vanes the turbos in most setups make less noise than conventional fletch arrows. the DEADX with .8 sq. in and the Hunter with 1.6 sq. in . of vane will do the same as three four or five inch vanes which have a total area of from 4 to 7 square inches. The larger the vanes the more noise. To this date we have had no animal duck or jump a turbo, and have a lot of video that we have studied and show at hunting shows proving this.

IN the real world where we hunt there is another factor that affects shooting. Cross winds. TURBO NOCKs because of their small size and high rpm do not drift as much in cross wind as a conventional fletched arrow. another benefit.
Most average shooters usually cut their 20yd groups by 50% , so if you are used to shooting 2in. groups at 20yds you will possibly be shooting 1
in. groups.
What this also does for hunting is it should give most shooters the ability if they so choose to extend their kill range at least ten to 20 yds .
Bottom line the TURBO gives more consistant arrow flight over a much wider range of wind and weather conditions.
The logic behind the turbo is so simple , basically no one ever thought to put rifling on arrows. Why not ?? It sure makes bullets work better!
When I was a kid now matter what I did to my arrows , my 22 would always out shoot my bow and arrow, and I never fletched my 22.
40 years later this made sense. Perhaps fletching is not the best way to fly arrows. Compounds work better than recurves, fallaways are a mechanical advantage over stationary rests. Basically every arrow ever made has been a stick with feathers or vanes on it, the sticks have just gotten prettier. The TURBO is the first system that does to arrows what the compound did to recurves. A mechanical advantage.

One person commented that a high rate of spin will cause decay of flight and loose trajectory and speed which will affect penetration.

The TURBO because it stabilizes from the bowstring does not use up the enegry a conventional fletch requires just to make the arrow spin.
Because it is so much smaller it has less wind resistance and in actuality
flys faster, drifts less, and penetrates better because of less velocity lost.
WE chronographed a conventional fletch three 5in. vanes from several bows and compared the speeds to the same shaft with a turbo deadx
CSS System 40 lbs- Fletched 230 fps vs DEADX 234fps
Matthews lx 60lbs. fletched 290fps vs DEADX 297fps
Highcountry did a test with one of their carbon riser bows and one of their arrows at a recent hunting show. fletched 330fps vs DEADX 342fps
IN all cases the turbo left the bow faster because of less wind resistance
and the conventional arrow never catches up.
In most cases you get 3 inches flatter trajectory at 20 yds and 5 inches at 50 yds and 8 inches at 80 yds.
I think this would be a benefit.
For those who have never seen a turbo I am attaching a comparison photo.