HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Montana Outfitters - Bob Marshall Wilderness
Old 05-27-2004, 12:38 PM
montana_hunter_16

Default RE: Montana Outfitters - Bob Marshall Wilderness

Aaron,

What everyone has said so far is true, and early season would be a great start as opposed to chancing it on a late season hunt. Sun Canyon Lodge is good and Lee seems to be a great guy, but the area he hunts gets pretty hard. The guy I work for, Rocky Heckmen of Montana Safaris, has one of the best operations I have seen. That's the reason I'm coming back to work for him: he's a really nice guy and a wonderful outdoorsmen. His early season starts September 14 going in, and he base camps out of a certain creek I won't disclose near the Middle Fork of the Flathead, way up at the north end of the Bob. They did real well this year in both elk and deer, and he himself got a 350 lb black bear, ironically the same one that was relocated after breaking into David Letterman's house. His late season is near the Dearborn River, and they always get something there. Check his site out, or give him a call. His number is 406-466-2004 and website is montanasafaris.com

I can almost guarantee you won't see any public hunters in the areas he hunts. However, it is quite a ride in to his camps so be prepared for the horseback ride in. Another thing, the food is amazing. He always has great cooks, and you wouldn't believe the dishes we get while in the backcountry. mmmm, i'm hungry thinking about it.

g'luck,

Dan