HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Luck in deer hunting
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2004, 12:38 AM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Luck in deer hunting

Luck is always a factor whether we admit it or not, horseshoe luck is a totally different matter though and while one might be this type of lucky once in awhile, to be truly successful on a regular basis it takes knowledge and skill. You can always throw in a little dose of luck for good measure. Like trailer I use the gut feelings, I must say most of my gut feelings come directly from knowing the spot when I see it, last fall it happened 3 times I just knew I had to hunt their but also knew I needed the absolute perfect wind to be truly successful. As luck would have it 3 animals were harvested the first day we set up in all 3 spots. 2 were bull elk(1 mine) and 1 whitetail buck. The reason I say luck was I actually got a wind that is not prodominant for the area and time of year, the rest was skill knowing where to sit and what technique to further our chances. So I believe both are required but maybe not for the reason the poster posed this question. To me luck is a variable that can not be controlled but you can control your situation through education/skill. In combo they are deadly!

Sj brings up a good point about patience as well which is a skill. Arguably one of the hardest skills to handle or harness!