HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Questions about properly sighting my rifles
Old 05-19-2004, 11:42 AM
targetpuncher

Default RE: Questions about properly sighting my rifles

Semi,
I understand your problem. Yes, it would help to immobilize the rifle as much as possible. It
is not necessary to go and spend piles of money to do this. I do not know the exact situation/
setup where you shoot, but I can make several suggestions.
First of all, be sure to check for obvious problems. Are the scope mounts tight ? (I assume that you are using a scope.) Was threadlocker used when the scope was installed ? Is the ammo
you are using suitable for sighting in ? (For instance, if you are using mil-surp ammo.... or a
bullet weight which does not properly match the rifling of your barrel.... then you should switch to
a good, commercial brand - preferably the type & bullet weight with which you intend to hunt.)
Again, no need to spend great wads of money.... It is possible that your particular rifle does not
"like" the particular brand/type of ammo that you are using. It is NOT necessary that you go to
the most expensive ammo.... sometimes just a switch to a similar type, of a different brand, will
do the trick.
Next (and BEFORE you worry about the ammo)....was the rifle boresighted... before shooting?
This most often will move your shots "onto the paper"..... and fairly close to the final point of
impact (if done carefully). If not, don't worry.
Now, as to the setup. If your problem is holding the rifle steady, then let's work on that. Depending on the exact setup/geometry of the rest you are using.... you may be able to simply
add a support under the buttstock. A small backpack (stuffed full of soft material, like cloth) -
works very well. If the rest you are using is too high above the bench, you may not be able to
stabilize the buttstock of the rifle with something like this. If that IS the case, I would suggest
removing the rifle from the "benchrest".... and using only the backpack. Lay the stuffed backpack
down flat - then rest the entire forestock area of the rifle on this. If the bag (backpack or whatever)
is properly stuffed, you should be able to nestle the rifle into it, such that the rifle will sit, fully
supported in this "rest". If the existing benchrest is NOT too high above the bench surface, you
could try using your closed fist (your non-shooting hand) jambed under the buttstock - to support
it. In any case, under NO circumstances should you rest the BARREL of the rifle on anything -
benchrest, backpack, or anything else. If you are, that is guaranteed to throw off your groups.
ONLY the stock of the rifle should be supported or held.
Now, let's move on to the shooting. Your basic procedure of 3-shot groups, followed by adjustment and cool-down, is fine. I must ask, since you are new, are you certain that you are
turning the adjustment dials on your scope in the proper direction ? Absolutely NO disrespect intended.... but, some people have a bit of difficulty with understanding how the adjustment dials
actually change point-of-impact. I will assume that such is NOT the case.
Here is a simple procedure, which should get you close. First, carefully set-up, aim and fire
ONE shot. This shot, obviously, MUST be "on paper". It doesn't matter whether this shot is
anywhere near the bull. When you do this, be VERY careful to note exactly where you were AIMING.... as this will be important in the next step. Next, while carefully aiming the rifle at the
same point as before, (and holding the rifle steady), adjust the scope dials, so that the crosshairs line up with the ACTUAL point-of-impact made by your first shot. I neglected to mention before, that it is sometimes necessary to do this from a shorter distance than 100 yds. Get close enough so that you can clearly see (through your scope) both your original aiming point AND the actual point-of-impact (of your first shot). If you do all of this carefully, you should be very close.
Finally, go back to aiming for the bull (or centre of the target, or whatever)... and continue to
shoot, slowly and carefully.... while fine-tuning the scope settings. If there are no other issues
or problems, then you should be able to get sighted-in.
Achieving 1" (or smaller) groups - especially on a regular basis - will require PRACTICE. If
you are not already an experienced shooter, don't expect that to happen immediately. You must
get very comfortable with your rifle and all aspects of precision shooting.... and I would recommend
that you use EXACTLY the same setup and shooting routine, until you become proficient. At that point, you can begin to try other shooting positions, etc.
Finally, as I alluded to before, if you still cannot get good groups, which improve with further
practice, I would suspect a problem with the rifle, ammo, or perhaps, that you are not taking your
time (or are not comfortable while shooting). These issues can be addressed, when the time comes
(hopefully, you will begin to see success).
I hope that this post will be helpful for you. Please let us know how it all works out.
Best regards.