HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Questions about properly sighting my rifles
Old 05-19-2004, 10:50 AM
WriterBob

Default RE: Questions about properly sighting my rifles

" life is too long to go through it with an ugly gun"

To sight in your rifle first I will assume you had the scope boresighted to the rifle if you are using a scope.
Next start at the 25 yard line. Adjust the rifle to hit near dead center at 25 yards.
Next move to the hundred yard line . IN all cases remember to have your rifle resting on the front rest and under the stock on sandbags or some sort of stable rest.
Sand bags work well because they can be molded to your rifle. Adjusting the rear rest will determine a great deal on your rifle position in relation to the target.
Once you have done this sit down and position the rifle so that the cross hairs are directly on the target.( it helps to put a blaze orange sticker on the bulls eye for quick sighting).
Now relax and draw in a breath. As you slowly let the breath out gently squeeze( not pull) the trigger. The actual firing of the gun should come as a surprise to you.
Shoot a three shot group and let the barrel cool between rounds otherwise your shots will walk with a hot barrel.
Bring a few different brands of ammo. Your rifle will like one better than the others and then you have found your ammo.
I sight my rifles in to hit two inches high at a hundred yards, this will cover most hunting situations. Take a spotting scope to the range if you have one to check your groups.
Try these tips and see if they help.
Good luck and putem in the bull