HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - DATELINE ILLINOIS......
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2004, 08:55 AM
brownie65

Default RE: DATELINE ILLINOIS......

Get rid of the cap it is just costing the state money. The cap on nr hunters is not opening up any more land for hunters,taking the cap off will not take more ground from the hunters either. In Pike county I would say 90% of the ground is leased, cap or no cap this will not change. About 10 years ago I could hunt about anywhere I wanted around here,times have changed,now I only have a few places. I have leased some just to keep places to hunt.Farmers are used to getting paid for their hunting ground now so even if nr quit coming the majority of them will still want money to hunt their ground. I wish it was the way it was 10 years ago but it never will be again. The cost is getting out of hand,this is because of a handfull of outfitters(not all of them). When I first leased some ground to hunt it cost me $5 per acre. Now people are paying $40-$50 per acre.The problem I see that needs to be fixed is that ground is getting so expensive that there are only going to be a few big outfitters in the county,a small guy won't be able to afford it.