HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which Leupold Scope? VXIII OR VXII
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2004, 06:11 PM
Pace Maker

Default Which Leupold Scope? VXIII OR VXII

I'm undecided which scope to mount on my model 700 remington 30.06 I know it's going to be a Leupold, I'm just not sure what model:
3-9x40 VXII, 2.5-8x36 VXIII, or the 3.5-10x50 VXIII. I'm not sure if the difference between the VXIII and the VXII is worth the extra money or not. The 50mm I'm worried, I'll have to raise the mounts, I have low mounts now. I don't want to raise the mounts, I like shooting low mounts. I'm getting the rifle ready for an upcoming bear hunt. I know I'll be shooting in low light conditions, I'm not sure if the 50 really gathers that much more light to make it worth it. I also want the gun set up for caribou and elk. I use a 7400 Remington 30.06 with a fixed 4 Leupold scope for deer, and it works great. On my 11-87 Remington shotgun and my TC Black Diamond Blackpower they each have a 2.5 M8 Leupold which works well.
I guess to sum it up, is the VXIII worth the extra money and does the 50mm objective gather a lot more light than the 40mm or 36mm and will it fit with low mounts?...thanks for any help!