HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Helical or straight vanes??
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2003, 08:34 PM
Elkcrazy8
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Helical or straight vanes??

It is all a matter of preference. I like to shoot an offset over a helical. The helical does create more drag and also does not allow for proper vein clearance on most rests. As for feathers over plastic you'll have to look at your application. Feathers will generate more speed when first released for the fact that they are lighter but also because the feathers will lay down under the initial release. As the arrow gets down range the feathers will begin to open up and cause greater drag on the arrow and give up energy faster. If you are using them for hunting in dry areas then yes, I myself would use feathers over plastic. I switched back to just plastic because I shoot alot of 3-d and prefer to have greater down range energy so my bow is flatter on the longer shots. I also do alot of high county elk hunting along with late season deer hunts so the plastic is my chice because the weather is usually wet. Feathers do have better steering properties. I guesse that is why birds are not made of plastic. Good luck in your search........