HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Opinions about buying camo...
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 09:41 AM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

I don't use camo when I hunt. I wear what I want. What I want to wear is forest green wool pants, a red checked wool shirt, and a brown, tan, and green mottled colored parka (camo -- sometimes you can't buy outdoor clothes that ARE NOT camo!). This has worked for deer hunting and elk hunting. I am not a trophy hunter, so maybe you need to wear camo to bag trophies. You don't need camo to hunt normal elk and deer. People used to hunt big game without camo until fairly recently -- say until 20 years ago. Having said this, I have no problem with folks who choose to wear camo.

I think important factors in hunting are (1) sitting in shadows, (2) having various kinds of clutter around you like a tree trunk behind you, brush in front of you, that break up your outline, and (3) being very still. (4) when you do move, move slowly. It may be that these factors are more important than camouflage in keeping from being seen by animals. If you do use camo, don't forget to take advantage of these four things I mention here also.