HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What caliber? This is the end of it
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2017, 01:15 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Sure - it's fair to say an officer or agent should have training, whereas, statistically, the average citizen does not.

How about swapping over to the average gun forum guy who has some give-a-schit about the FBI's use of 9mm vs. 40... I would contend that entire subset of American citizens will be better with a firearm than the average LEO or Agent. I know a retired officer who "didn't believe in gun ownership" and his only firearms he ever possessed were his duty pistol and patrol sweeper. I've fired more shots in the 2017 calendar year than he fired in 20yrs as an officer. He11, I've probably owned more firearms than the number of firearms he ever fired in his lifetime.

They're people. They're not professional marksmen. I've assisted qualification courses and coached/instructed remedial officers - between those and CCW courses and handgun courses, I can't say I've seen officers do better even than average citizens. People hold that expectation of expert marksmanship skill among officers and agents way too high.

The SWAT/HRT troops I've worked with and shot with tend to be able to manage a rifle and a pistol well. I'll readily defend that. But all of them I have met are practicing regularly and have a much more broad qualification and training platform than the typical duty officers.