HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Using tracking dogs with sight hounds
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2017, 07:55 PM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

The Weimaranar I had that would grab on and hold on was mostly Hogs, the breeder had added what he called an Italian Blood hound to the mix for a better nose. Italian Blood hounds are known for tracking and if they catch up to a wounded animal they latch on and hold on until the hunter shows up to finish the job. His improved line of Weimaraner picked up this trait also. I wouldn't count on it being universal. Strong prey drive, stamina and fighting ability are likely to be Weimaranar traits.

Your buddy sounds like he needs a Ridgeback or Airedale (non show dog line, working dog line) they tend to close with game and worry it until the hunter shows up.

Just an opinion, dogs in general are domesticated animals. When their killer instinct gets too strong, they stop being domesticated and start being really dangerous. One of those things IMO you just can't count on, kind of like training big Cats, you never know for sure if instinct is going to override training.

My last Weimaranar tore a Fox to shreds and spread it's guts in a ten foot circle the first time I tried to get him to retrieve one. I was shocked at how vicious he was, at home he was a big teddy bear and a real lover.

Most hunting breeds will fight, they have to for self protection. Fox and Yote are Canis, some Hunting breeds are likely to hold back some, but their smell is different enough they could be taught to kill. I don't know exactly why but German Wire Hair pointers just seem the type, a little wilder, stronger prey drive and fighting instincts than most gun dogs. But a Herding dog might also work out well, hundreds (thousands) of years of genetics telling them to protect the flock and either drive off the predator, savage it or kill it.

You really can't count on Breed to show all the traits you are looking for, some are common sense, if it is going to fight and or hold on it is unlikely to be baying at the same time. And it differs line to line within a breed, they may look the same or similar but have somewhat different strengths and weaknesses.

Like I've said before I'm more likely to modify my hunting to fit the dog than train the dog to something it is unsuited for temperament wise. And the only way to spot talent (s) is to watch a lot of dogs, you pick up the signs after awhile.

I warned a buddy about his dog, he looked at me like I was nuts, a couple of months later he lost two fingers to that dog.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 07-07-2017 at 08:00 PM.