HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I saw my first Canada goslings of the year today
Old 06-06-2017, 12:40 PM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

The non hunters gripe about the resident Canada Geese,most waterfowl hunters are very happy to have them, they gave hunters an extra waterfowl season. Remember, those geese just didn't appear and become resident geese. For the most part, they were the result of states wanting to start goose flocks in their state. The geese they got were one of the subspecies that did not migrate. Prior to that we had no resident geese. My state built a waterfowl management area in the southeast part of the state. They made trades of Grouse and Turkeys to other states for geese. What they got were geese that did not migrate. Then when PA had an overload of resident geese that has spread out from the management area, PA would trap them and give them to other states that wanted to start a goose population. by the time everyone realized that those gees do not migrate we had them all over the place. Even though they do not migrate to Canada to nest, they do move from contiguous state to contiguous state. It is kinda ridiculous to hear people who hunt these birds and have more opportunity to hunt calling them names like flying rats! Another example of good intentions gone wrong, but beneficial to hunters.