HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Powder Volume to Weight
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2017, 06:34 PM
ronlaughlin
Nontypical Buck

Grain is a unit of weight. Measuring weight by using volume is kinda weird is it not? Why is this? My thought is because the old boys couldn't readily carry a balance scale, but could carry container marked to be a weight substitute.

These days, we can all own a scale, and we can all access vials. Me, i never measure powder by volume. In another thread i kept writing my load was 105 grain. This was a lie. I actually have no idea what the volume load was. Every load i used, i never measured; i never knew what the volume was. Every load i used was weighed 73.5 grain. What was done was to weigh the charges, and dump them into the Blackhorn vials. Them markes on the vials were totally ignored. When i go up and shoot, i carry the Blackhorn vials with the erroneous marks filled with 73.5 grain weight of powder.

When i go hunting i carry Lane' tubes filled with 73.5 grain weight of Blackhorn. I 'say'/ write the load is 105 grain Blackhorn, but it isn't. The reason i carry Lane' tubes when hunting, and not the Blackhorn vials, is because the screw on lids don't come off in my pocket.