HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Real Nice PA Buck..Pictures and Story...
Old 11-16-2003, 07:28 AM
Jimimac

Default Real Nice PA Buck..Pictures and Story...

My hunting buddy shot a really nice 9 point this past Friday morning. We had been seeing some really nice bucks (including this one) over the last 2 weeks and one of us finally scored on one of them. I couldn' t be happier for this guy.

Here is the story:

Greene County Pennsylvania
Friday morning
Temp in the low 30' s

I see this big nine point at 7:40 about forty yards from me. He presents no shot and off he goes. I talk to Bob on the walkie talkie at 9:00 to tell him that one of the big deer we had been seeing came through. He saw four doe and I also had a button buck come through, so things were looking up. I talk to him again at noon and he tells me he shot a big buck at 11:05 and it' s down.

Apparently, this buck came in from behind him and was going to walk off in a direction that was going to take him well outside of bow range. He gave his grunt call two very short hits and the buck stops, changes direction and now he is on a collision course straight to Bob. The deer comes in from behind him and to the right, passes straight behind the stand and crosses over to Bob' s other side. Bob lets the buck walk past his stand and at ten yards the deer stops and presents a fairly sharp quartering away shot. To put it in perspective, you would not have wanted the deer to be at much more of an angle or it turns into a no shot situation. Bob puts the pin well back on the deer so on the pass through he exits just behind the deers far shoulder. He makes the release and the arrow flies true. The buck runs off very slowly and rests against a tree for a minute or so. He runs another few yards and beds down. Lays there for a very short time gets up walks a few steps and beds again. He gets up again then immediately falls over dead. The deer only ran a total of about 40 yards and was dead within a few minutes of the shot. The arrow went through the liver and took out the far lung. He made the shot he had make. He picked a spot and aimed for the exit hole. The rest is history.

This is the same buck I saw earlier in the morning. If that buck had walked twenty yards closer to me then Bob is probably helping me with my deer instead of the other way around!! That' s cool!

I have some nice pics that I had to scan in, but they are too big for me to upload to the forum. Can anyone assist me?