HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .270 WSM vs. .300 win mag
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2003, 05:05 AM
akbound

Default RE: .270 WSM vs. .300 win mag

Hi Raymond270,

I have used Ballistic Tips on deer size game, though currently out of a .260 Remington. The Ballistic Tip opens up rather quickly and creates a lot of trauma throughout the length of the wound channel. Out of a .300 Magnum I can pretty well imagine that it would bloodshot alot of meat!

It is not uncommon for a deer, (any many other animals as well), to take an extremely well placed...lethal hit....and show little or no apparent sign of being hit. I have had deer travel up to 100 yards or so with their heart and or lungs absolutely destroyed! Whether or not you decide to take a second shot or not is an individual decision. Though I will say....if there is " any" doubt in your mind about the shot placement....a second shot is a good idea. (I know, some will say a second shot is always best when possible if the animal is still on its feet...but how many archers get a second shot into the game? And does that negatively effect making a humane kill.....assuming a proper first shot)?

One of the reasons that the magnums tend to be such " good killers" ....is because they destroy a lot of tissue. And the only sure way I know of not destroying alot of eating meat.....is to shoot through parts we normally don' t eat, (like broadside through the ribcage).

As a kid growing up I remember reading much of the writing of both Jack O' Connor and Elmer Keith. They each had a slightly different take on the issue...to say the least. Jack' s proposed using light/high velocity bullets, (ie. the 130 grain .270 Winchester), and shooting through nonedible body parts...as much as possible. Elmer on the other hand proposed big/slower moving bullets which didn' t bloodshot alot of meat....and as he said, " you could eat right up to the bullet hole" !

Those two differing extremes pretty well sum it up!

Once again...best wishes and good luck!