HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pomeranian is a sporting dog?
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 06:49 AM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

Well ... I hate to differ (sort of) but. Ten years ago I bought my wife a Pom.

Chi-Chi's dame and sire are from stock that has been kept the blood lines as close to "original" as practical. Chi-Chi is about 13" at the shoulders and is about the most tenanous "ratter" as I have ever come across. She has dug out and killed countless chipmunks and moles, and a few rabbits. The back 2-3 acres of wooded hillside appear to be an artillery practice range for an army of very tiny soldiers. She has also successfully ambushed and killed a full grown gray squirrel.

The lady that I bought Chi-Chi from told me that she is part of a group that despises what AKC has done to the breed. She went on and on about how this international group of breeders has worked to hold the size close to the oldest depictions of the breed as they have .... paintings from way back. Said that the "original" Poms were more or less a small Spitz, weighing aboutg 12#-15# and had been bred thsi small to be able run barns and grain strorage for vermine. She also tols me that Poms of this size are difficult to sell and certainly not AKC "show" dogs.

Does this make this fru-fru breed "Sporting"? Nah. And while Chi-Chi is not up to taking down a feral hog, she certainly must be a legend around the local chipmunk camp fires. (I don't think moles have camp fires. Can't find the matches.)