HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How to Get the Gamey Taste Out of Venison
Old 04-18-2013, 03:17 PM
HuntAway
Nontypical Buck

Might just as well set it in a tub of water. He may be aging it but from what I read he is blanching the meat. I think the taste would be rather bland doing this. Even beef has flavour and is not subjected to that kind of treatment.

You want good venison? Quick kill. Field dress asap. Keep the carcass clean. Skin asap. De-fat/ de-silverskin it. Cool the meat asap 32-34'F. If you want to age the meat, age it at 32-34'F and whatever the percentage of humidty and amount of draft on the meat as required for optimum ageing(google it). After ageing, trim, De-bone wrap and freeze.

Except for the ageing part, I try to do all of the above. I hunt bush deer (no farms in 20 miles) and they are every bit as good as their southern bretheren that eat soya beans and corn. My sister say's they taste wild..... She was used to the way my father used to take care of their deer at the "hunt camp". I gave her husband some meat done the way we process our "Northern" deer and she could not tell the difference. My mother used to soak roasts in salt and water overnight for the same reason.

Taste has very much to do with how they are prepared for the freezer. I will never take any meat to a butcher to process. They hang and freeze what they get and you get what you gave them. Hair, fat, bones and dirt included.

HA

Last edited by HuntAway; 04-18-2013 at 03:27 PM.