HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Winchester Model 70, 30-06. Synthetic Black Stock.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:36 AM
8mm/06
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Camo Mike
Finally found what it is. I've been reading its a wally world special and all this depressing Literature due to the fact I traded a nice Savage .270 model 11 wood w/ a Meopta Meastar R1 4x16x44 scope for this Synthetic Model 70 30-06, w/ a Leupold Vari X-3, 3.5x10x40 and $160.00.
Why...? It's lighter and I wont beat up the synthetic stock in the mountains, while bear hunting.
Anyway, It's the Model 70 DBM. NOW, I'm just hoping the gun isn't a Wally world speacial. But atleast the scope is higher end.

Being from Walmart will not contribute or detract from it's quality or accuracy. The gun will have come off the line with the same specs that others of that model possess. You might get lucky and get a shooter or get unlucky and get one that won't shoot 3" at 100. You could get the same thing by buying that same model anywhere else. Winchester, or any other manufacturer doesn't have time or money to set up different lines to produce varying levels of quality for the same models.

Hope you enjoy your M70. I always wanted one and someday I plan to place one in the locker. Don't know if I'll buy a vintage pre-64 or not (probably not) but I'd be happy to have one of decent quality that was a decent shooter. Don't need a pretty gun, just a decent shooter. I'm thinking I might buy a used m70 of a more recent manugacture aFTER they went back to the controlled round feed.