HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Thoughts on deer scents/lures
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Bukmastr
Typical Buck

My belief is scents do more harm than good, and you really can't fool a deers nose, it might work on immature bucks, but not often on mature bucks, at least not often enough for me to rely on it as a legitimate way to hunt mature bucks.

I found it to be like a trap that you get caught in where you see small deer investigate and you get caught up in the game. For me now, it seems way better to never try and beat a deers nose. Catching them by surprise seems to have much better results on mature bucks

I also think there are some big issues with scent collection procedures, contamination, and deterioration of pee type scents. I am sure some brands are better than others. 1st off, there are not enough whitetail deer in captivity to make the amount of doe in heat pee that is sold, so somebodys playing games. Maybe they are using axis deer pee? Maybe deluting with water?
From what I have heard most places collection is done by having the deer in a stall with a metal floor and a drain to do the collecting. Contamination would be extreme. Poop, feed, hair, human worker scent, etc, right down the drain with the pee.
Pee turns rancid quick and don't refrigerate well. It gets to smelling like ammonia.
The only pee that has ever smelled not like ammonia to me is synthetic. And really, I have some doubts about our ability to recreate a smell to fool an animal that can smell millions of times better than us.
Bottom line is a doe that is in heat will attract deer from a long way off, I believe from miles down wind. If bottles of pee really recreated it, it would be very unfair to use cause the bucks would come running within a short time when you put it out... All you would need to do is set a bottle up wind of a large woods and deer would come investigate from all across the woods. But it does not work that way. My experiences have been very spotty at best.