HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Thoughts on deer scents/lures
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 03:25 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Mojotex
Here's what I have done, and frankly have had at least decent success with this ... I collect urine from deer that I kill or any that a buddy kills. I pour it through a coffee filter into a container. I keep the stuff frozen until I use it. I use this mixed urine to make a very wet drag rag. About 250 yards or so from where I plan to set up, I start dragging the rag behind me. Then leave the wet rag hanging off the ground about 2-3 feet, somewhere close to my stand. I also save "oily" tarsal glands and use these to scent up nearby saplings. Over the years, I have had several bucks (and does) come into view obviously looking for the scent maker ... a few have been pretty darned decent bucks. I have never had any deer spook. I have never had any ignore the "line". I have even had bobcat and coyote trail up the drag line.
I have used the tarsal glands as well - they work, and don't spook deer - and the price (free) is right. Have to save and try the urine too. Like Mojotex, I toss them in the freezer right away in a sealed jar or bag.

Scents can be very helpful in initially drawing deer to food plots - just put some out today in a new food plot area. Trails End 307 is a good all season lure.

Last edited by MZS; 05-30-2012 at 01:54 PM.