HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Thoughts on deer scents/lures
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 02:57 PM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

I do not use commercial deer scents as an attractant or as a cover scent. I have tried a few along the way. Code Blue, Tink's, Harman's, etc. as attractants. Coon Pee, Fox Pee, even Skunk scent as cover. However during these past 50+/- years hunting white tail deer I cannot for the life of me recommend any of this stuff.

I will say that I have had a few deer definitely show interest in the scent "bombs" I have made. Most simply ingnore them ... and a few even spook. They simply are not worth the $$$ in my opinion. And I think that a ton of folks look at these as a "sure thing", based upon a handful of ad photos.

Here's what I have done, and frankly have had at least decent success with this ... I collect urine from deer that I kill or any that a buddy kills. I pour it through a coffee filter into a container. I keep the stuff frozen until I use it. I use this mixed urine to make a very wet drag rag. About 250 yards or so from where I plan to set up, I start dragging the rag behind me. Then leave the wet rag hanging off the ground about 2-3 feet, somewhere close to my stand. I also save "oily" tarsal glands and use these to scent up nearby saplings. Over the years, I have had several bucks (and does) come into view obviously looking for the scent maker ... a few have been pretty darned decent bucks. I have never had any deer spook. I have never had any ignore the "line". I have even had bobcat and coyote trail up the drag line.

Has any of this worked 100% of the time .... by no means. Probably not even 20% of the time. The way I see it, nothing can replace excellent habitat, superb scouting, correct set up, staying undetected .... and dumb luck ... and of course having plenty of good deer around.