HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Warm conditions and effects????
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

I know squat about what triggers hen's breeding time. Here's what I saw personally this spring in SE Alabama near the Eufaula area. I jumped a hen who was on nest with 6 eggs ... the date was March 9. I hunted March 17-23, Mar. 29-31 and April 25-28. The temperatures most of those days was well above normal. Conditions were dryer than normal as well ... big time dry. The late April dates were very windy and very hot.

I heard very few gobblers compared to the spring of 2011. Probably 50% of the mornings, I heard no gobblers. My historically "hot" areas were more or less a bust this spring for reasons of which I have no clue. These areas are prime turkey habitat, isolated, near a running creek and plenty of food.

I'd estimate that I saw maybe as few as 50% of the birds total, including hens. I never saw more than 3 hens at a time, and never more than 2 gobbblers displaying at a time to the hens. I'd guess I heard only 8-10 different gobblers all spring and saw maybe only 15-20 different hens. This is while covering tons on ground on 3147 acres !!!

I passed 1 nice gobbler for a personal reason, and a youngster later. I screwed up on one very nice gobbler. I called in and killed two mature gobblers ... which for me is about an average year. But I had to work harder than I recall ever to even get close to a decent bird. And for the first year that I can recall, I saw no Jakes.

As for young fawns ... where I hunt it is usual to have the peak estrus in mid to late January. These are the Alabama native deer. In fact in 30+ years hunting in this general area of Alabama, I have never seen an estrus cycle start before early December. And that early December cycle has been only in areas where northern US deer were used to stock the depleted Alabama populations back in the 1930's. Where I hunt now has populations of both. Come archery day s (Oct. 15 start date) as has been the case these past 11 years, I will no doubt see tiny spotted fawns not more than 2 weeks old, as well as fully weaned yearlings in the 60-75 pound weight.