HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Fletching orientation
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 05:00 AM
nys-buckstalker
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Guys and gals - did any of you see the show Western Exreme on the Outdoor channel where Jim Burnworth was explaining the fletching orientation on his arrows? From what I understand, he uses the 2" Blazer vanes in the std 120* pattern but vane #2 is placed 1" ahead of vane #1 and vane #3 is placed 1" ahead of vane #2. (I believe he used 1" as the forward distance.) It was hard to hear him with the grandkids zooming around the house.
Now this does slightly change your FOC%. But it also give the arrow a (vanes) a longer profile. Apparently this improves stabilization and better accurac.
I am wondering if anyone else has tried this. If so, what are your conclusions?
I seen it but I thought he said 1/4 to 1/2 in. with a slightly helical.I dont believe it will change the FOC cause I believe that it goes by weight of vanes. As for trying it havent yet but am giving it some thought.
By offseting them slightly you making a 2 in vane or blazer seem like a 3 in vane cause it spins it catching the air off the leading vane and making it spin quicker than having all 3 vane equal. also allowing less drag on other 2 vanes cause the air is being directed to the next vane beside it. Just a thought not saying that how it works. Maybe this afternoon will make a few old 55/75 goldtips with 4 in offset like 3/8" with a left heical and shoot them tomorrow night and see what i came up with for accurcy.