HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Warm conditions and effects????
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 08:50 AM
earnabuck
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DTC
I think all of us would agree that due to the warmer spring that our turkeys are way ahead of schedule. I have talked to 2 guys that live in southern MO, 1 guy in AR, a guy in TN and LA that have seen hens with poults already. I've been watching a bird in our alfalfa that hasn't strutted for almost 2 weeks. He and the gobbler my boy shot had 18 hens with them the night before youth season, the most I have seen with him the last week and half is 2. Also the first day of turkey season I saw a fawn track in one of my mineral licks and talked to some more guys that have seen the same thing.

Again, temperature is not an indicator of nesting, it is the amount of daylight. Just as the rut indicates. There is no reason to be seeing fawns earlier because the rut occurred at the same time it always does, the first few weeks of November. Warm temps aren't going to speed up the gestation period. My wife is pregnant, and it has been warm here, but her due date is still the same. If your seeing poults now, you probably always would see poults at this time.