HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pitbulls for Upland Birds?
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 01:21 PM
TheRedYote
Spike

You guys above may know abou yer setters and labs, but you don't know pits.

I work a shelter, and as of right now, have only come across ONE pit saved from the fighting ring. And let me tell ya, there are a lot of pits there. So as for being bred to bite, get that out of the answer. Pits are bred a LOT for temperment now, and HAVE been used asz bird dogs.

Remember, just about any dog can learn to hunt! Will a setter catch on quicker than a pit? Absolutely! Does that mean the pit is going to be terrible? Maybe, but that setter could be too. All dogs were bred from wolves, therefore they all have hutnig instinct.

Bird dogs are bred not made? What kind of thing is that! I've heard of many well bred, birdy dogs being destroyed through self hunting, scolding, or other misused methods. If you think a good bird dog will find you a covey right out of his mother's womb, you need to rethink your method of training.

Getting a bird dog would be a wise idea, but many peope don't have the time or money for that, so they have to make do with what they've got. That's how life is, except it.