HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 22 hornet brass
Thread: 22 hornet brass
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 08:32 PM
Gatofeo
Spike

Depends on how much of a difference.
I've occasionally encountered some lots of brass -- in rifle and pistol calibers -- that had flash holes slightly smaller than most
The only time it was ever a problem was when I first began reloading, 40 years ago, with a Lee Loader. Had to deprime by hand, with a punch, and it would get stuck in a case. Rather difficult to pull a case off the pin, when it's stuck tight.
But I've never had that problem with a press, which has far more leverage.
You can use a tiny drill bit as a gauge. Use it in brass that has flashholes that are of normal size, ensuring it's a close, slip fit.
Now, use this same bit to gently -- gentlyyyyyy -- ream the tight flashholes to size. It is crucial that you NOT increase the flash hole size drastically. It shouldn't create a hole any larger than normal.
Overly large flashholes will create problems.
But with the judicious use of a close-fitting drill bit, you can increase the flash hole size by a few thousandths.

Does Hornady deliberately make its flash holes smaller? I don't know. I've encountered this problem in all makes, through the years. The worst I've encountered was in the early 1970s, with .32 Winchester Special brass made by Remington. I had to put the primer punch in a vice, and pull the brass off with pliers. That's a tight flash hole!
Haven't encountered anything that bad since.