HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Defrosting Venison
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 04:40 PM
Scottdnramember
Fork Horn

Default This is what we do

We regularly defrost in a small bar sink empty the same day as we cook. The frozen meat turns the sink into a cooler of sorts and you can defrost a 2# package of ground in a few hours to cook up for dinner or other cuts for whatever. once thawed it goes into the fridge or gets cooked right away. (normally cooked right away) If I am in a hurry to thaw, I'll add cold water as it acts as a heat sync(Sink?) of sorts and thaws a bit faster.

All my meat is frozen quick with no aging most vaccume packed, ground packed tight and burped in ziplock bags.

Manwhich tonight with it! We got 6 last year as a team and eat venison regularly.

Also for Jerky I use a plastic tub (Like for drying dishes) and put in 10# (5 - 2# packs) to thaw the same way, then as soon as thawed, mix up the spices, in the fridge to mariniade overnight and in the dehydrator. for Chilli, same thing. The tub keeps meat cool and allows for a steady (And fairly fast) defrost without meat getting warm.

Meat never gets warm until cook time. I think that is the most important. I don't plan meals days in advance normally so a faster thaw method is important for us.