HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anyone use Fusion ammo??
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 06:14 AM
HatchieLuvr
Typical Buck

The Fusions are "ok", as was said I'd put them a step up or two from the "ok pile" with Corelokts and Silvertips. But honestly if you want one "getter dun" bullet for either your 06 or your 280 for the game you listed then I think you'll be mightily impressed by the Barnes Triple Shock and Tipped Triple Shock. Besides astounding "on game" performance, with the construction and complete penetration you can drop back in weight which will allow you to pick up velocity and trajectory without giving up any terminal performance and penetration. I've shot MANY deer with my 06s and a pet Remington Custom Shop 280 and used both with several different loads in nearly 30 years of hunting big game. The X-bullets are ALL I, my sons and guests shoot anymore.

In Federal Vital Shok try the 165 Triple Shock in your 06 (and if you REALLY wanna cranker up, they offer it in 110 Tipped Triple Shock, as many heads of game and different calibers that I've used with Barnes I wouldn't hesitate to whack a whitetail with the 110 TTSX). My BEST recommendation would be the Barnes Vor-Tx 150 TTSX for your 06, she'll be ready for anything you listed from bowrange to next zipcode!

280 wise, same thing, look at Federal Prem. in a 140 TSX. (Barnes isn't yet offering anything in the 280). I used the 140 Trophy Bonded Bearclaws in my 280 years ago (before any Barnes were available over the counter) and for me they worked considerably better than the regular Sierra boattails and even the Nosler Partitions. I just prefer full pass-thrus and great accuracy and get loads of all in the TSXs. The TBBCs are tough bullets, I've killed several does with them in 55grns in my 22/250. Upper neckshots inside of 300yds spells LIGHTS OUT with the lil "death ray" 22.

The new 7600 7mm-08 "basketball rifle" I got last week will be firing Barnes Vor-Tx 120 TTSXs this fall (ordered 2 boxes of it when I picked the gun up).

Also, nearly everyone is copying the Barnes now, Remington has the "Copper Solid" which might even be a Barnes as the company that owns Rem bought Barnes in 09. Hornady has their new GMX which is a solid copper, Barnes copy. Winchester has the XP3 and Etip which borrow heavily from Barnes as well.

If your concerned about price, just buy some clearance rack corelokts or softpoints of equal weight and sight your gun in and practice with those. Then shoot 6 or so of the premium bullets for fine tuning and to know exactly where they are hitting at whatever ranges you need info for. In hunting big game for nearly 30 years (nearly 200 whitetails, a mulie, elk and antelope each) I've come to the conclusion that "foot pounds of energy" and wanting a bullet that stays IN the animal is IMHO pure hogwash. The only times I've ever regularly been able to drop them stoned dead in their tracks was to either shoot them in the spine, neck, through both shoulders (which ruins alot of good meat) or from stem to stern "TX heartshot". Otherwise, with most deer calibers from 243 thru 300mags, a standing broadside, behind the shouler, through the lungs rarely drops them. They usually take a few steps or even make a few yards. (The only caliber I've had consistent "in their track" drops from simple lung pass thrus was with my Lazzeroni Warbird. Even my 7mags and 300Wby doesn't always drop them instantly with lung only pass thrus.) Blood loss and tissue/organ damage is what kills. The Barnes does horrific damage inside the chest cavity and as a result of the pass thru, you are left with a blood trail that Ray Charles could follow! When you hear, "He quit bleeding" that usually means there was no exit hole. They DON'T quit bleeding with two holes in them!!! What would you rather have in bowhunting, 1 or 2 holes in them? Same with a gun, but you also get the tissue and nerve damage.

WHACK EM,
HL