HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why do people hunt bears?
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 06:45 PM
johnnyHunts
Spike

Originally Posted by Murdy
I've eaten and enjoyed black bear before, not my favorite, but good. I also used to work for a meat processor, and some would bring bear in for sausage just like venison--also good.
As for population control, there are areas where black bears are very plentiful.
As for the baiting, I don't have a strong feeling about it, but I'd point out the following. Hunting used to be (long ago) about getting food rather than as it is now for a lot of people about being sporting. So, way back when, people developed methods of hunting that were efficient at getting meat rather than being sporting. Baiting is one such method. If your trying to plow a field with a horse, make some clothes, and cut wood for the winter, you probably don't have enough time to chase bears around for a week. Thus, you figure out how to get them as easy as possible. Some of those old methods survive--right or wrong. And, those that grew up with them will tend to see them as the norm.
I'm currently building points for a Wisconsin bear hunt, and if and when I get one, it will be consumed.
I don't have a problem with people that need to eat. It was that these folks were over joyed and it looked like fish in a barrel. They killed 34 bears. They weren't eating them. Maybe they gave them away. I don't know. I just didn't think I could be overjoyed about an high priced hunt where they throw food out to fool the bear. But long ago, yes, I get that and would do the same thing.