HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mossberg 835 overbored barrels
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 07:33 AM
Hurricanespg
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kpatte26
I recently read the artical on here about polishing a shotgun barrel... So I went to my trusty gun smith and ask him about doing such a thing because I generally end up screwing everything up... The first thing he did was ask what type of shotgun I had... My reply was an 835... He told me that polishing the barrel on the 835 would not help improve the pattern because the barrels are traditionally overbored and have a rough finish. He went on to explain that Mossberg has been making the barrels that way for the longest time. He called the factory about why they overbore the barrel and use the rough finish to which they stated it has to do with making the pattern even more round and getting the wadding to seperate from the load even more quickly so as to assist with making a more circular pattern.
I wont question Mossberg on their methods because I shoot a hell of a pattern all the way out to 60 yards and have no intentions of attempting to improve something that good! I know that I will never personally shoot a bird that far away but I sure as hell will practice that distance so that taking a 30 yard shot is a piece of cake!
Hope this helps!
I am not trying to be mean, but your gunsmith is dead wrong in stating that polishing the barrel will not help improve the pattern.