HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Browning BBR
Thread: Browning BBR
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 10:14 AM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

The first bolt action center fire I ever owned was a late1970's vintage BBR in 30.06 Spr. I think I bought it new about 1977-78. It is one of the tighest group shooters I have ever come across. Gave it to my son-in-law for hism first deer rifle.

I did have two problems develop. (1) Not sure after how many rounds, less than 500 for sure ... the bolt stop became worn and until I had a new one made, from time to time I'd eject a shell and pull that big old bolt right through the action and it be there in my right hand !!!! First time it happened I was bum-fuddled. Would not happen every time. You'd have to hit it just right ... or in this case, just wrong ! The fix was easy. (2) I have had two stocks crack. The original stock split down almost the entire length of the forearm, along a wood-grain line. Browning sent me a new stock. I had it check for fit to the rifle by a reputable gunsmith. It eventually cracked through the side of the stock, right at the place that the action set down into the pistol grip. I had one heck of a time locating any form of a replacement stock. Finally found a guy that made "roughed" blanks for the BBR. I repaired the second stock and it is now back on the rifle. I put the rough blank aside for the future.