HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - back from NM elk hunt
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 05:48 PM
caplock
Fork Horn

Default back from NM elk hunt

Back from NM muzzy hunt and filled two out of three tags, being the only caller in the group I guess I was last on list to get a shot and did not fill, not complaining though I love to call em maybe as much as shooting at them. We saw elk every day and even after the other guys filled I still got eight bulls under 50 yds but no clear shots, very thick timber. One bull shot at 18yds with .50 barrnes 285 grain all copper, found bullet under hide behind shoulder. Bull only went 20yds and bullet intact and mushroomed perfect. Second bull 32 yard shot .54 hornady GPB shot quartering toward shooter, bull went 60 yards bullet still in elk and did not find. If you have never gone on an elk hunt but are thinking about it DO IT, its not going to get any cheaper and its so easy to do, and its a trip you wont forget. I've been on six out of state elk hunts with either muzzy or bow and have been successful on half of them, all on public land without guides. So much info out there on internet and lots of people to help out, I just wish I had started when I was younger.