HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Swift Reloading Data for Scirocco
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 01:52 AM
Vapodog
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by batman0809
Need some help... I am very new to reloading, and I am working on trying to make a load for my Remington 700 300 Ultra Mag. Going on an Elk trip in October, and I am looking for a good load. I have read about the different kind of bullets, and I am not quite sure what would be a good one to use. Any Help?
For the higher velocities of the ultra mag I'd look to two bullets and use a 200 grain bullet in the Northfork or the Swift A-Frame.

I've used both on African plains game in a .300 H&H with great success and recommend both highly. They are a tad spendy but worth the extra IMO.

I've had no problems at all working up a load for either of these bullets using regular cup and core data from Hodgdons or Hornady loading data assuming we always start low and work up which we should be doing anyway! IIRC Northfork recommends starting 8% under max but so far I've always worked back to max loads without incident!

I'd not recommend any standard cup and core bullet in the ultramag (or any magnum for that matter) but would much prefer a bonded bullet of some type and the Northforks and A-Frames are "stand out" bullets that will not come apart at the higher velocities.

I've used Barnes a bit lately and that bullet has promise at the higher velocities but to date I've only range tested them and not actually killed anything with them. Others have high praise for them.