HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2-4,D herbicide mixing question
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 01:30 PM
4evrhtn
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by haystack
You've definitely got a problem. Honestly even 2,4 D mixed with glyphosate will not kill the Milk Weed, Curly Dock or the Common Burdock. It will suppress it, it will burn it down to the ground but it won't kill it. Good news is the 2,4 D/gly mix will smoke the Ragweed. When new ragweed seedlings emerge later on, 2 qts of gly to the acre before the ragweed reaches 8 inches in height should put the hurt on it, but I've seen ragweed linger for weeks after the application, not quite dead, but not going anywhere either.

The best way that I know to kill and rid a field of tough perennial weeds such as milk weed, dock and others, is to use a mold board plow. That's not always practical but it's one of the few things that will work. Another possible method is to spot treat each plant with a hot dose of Tordon. There could options I'm not aware of also.

Good luck!! and let us know how it's going!
Thanks Haystack, now I am not as optimistic about getting rid of these nuisances. I would hate to tear up all the lush clover i have growing, it's coming in thick and looking good, I just cut it back to 8 inches over the weekend. I will attempt the spot treatment method in the clover and not sure about the rest. I have tried pulling the burdock out by the roots but it seems a shovel is needed to get the whole root out. Maybe I found my kids' next punishment the next time they misbehave. I'll put them to work in the field. The good thing is the milkweed is minimal, but the burdock is multiplying every year.
My No.1 priority is the ragweed. I have Round-Up Ready corn and soybean seed so I can treat the plots again later once the resilient plants start coming back. I did a test with the 2,4-D on Poison Ivy yesterday, today the plants have already begun to wilt and turn brown. I am anxious to see how it works on the other weeds. Thanks Again. By the way, checked my trail cam today and had a picture just like your avatar on it. The big fury bastards are already showing up at my feeders. I am guessing they'll start tearing up my cameras and feeders before too long.