HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2-4,D herbicide mixing question
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2010, 05:23 AM
haystack
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn
I bought 2 1/2 gal of 2-4,D LV4. It states it can be mixed with Soybean oil, Petroleum based oil or liquid fertilizer. I assume this causes the herbicide to cling to the plants more effectively. I have read on here awhile back someone mentioned mixing an herbicide with a detergent to get the same result. My question to those who have been doing this awhile is this... Can I mix the 2,4-D in a water/detergent mixture? Will it cause the 2,4-D to be less effective/ more effective-clinging to the plants/ or no difference at all? If I should use a detergent mixture, which detergent would be best suited to this purpose-dish detergent?

I am trying to cut costs without sacrificing effectiveness. I also read mixing 2-4,D with Dicamba increases the effectiveness of killing various weeds that the 2,4-D lacks in killing, understanding that soybeans cannot be planted after Dicamba has been sprayed in the same plot.

I have the 2,4-D and now am looking for some more bang for my buck. I appreciate any help I can get!

Most brands of 2,4 D recommend adding a nonionic surfactant to increase effectiveness. Dish detergent is used as a nonionic surfactant to help penetrate the waxy surface on many weeds and to help spread the spray droplet instead of beading up. I have used Dawn dish detergent at roughly 1 to 3 ounces per 5 gallons of mix with good results. Generally I use an adjuvant called PAS 800, which cost around $20 a gallon.

The brand of 2,4 D I use for crop ground is called Weedone LV4. It's a 62% 2,4 D ester formulation. However, I DO NOT use it for weed control prior to planting soybeans. Soybeans are VERY sensitive to 2,4 D both in the soil and when sprayed nearby when the beans are growing. Even though the Weedone LV4 is labeled for Soybeans, it also states something like " do not apply this herbicide prior to planting soybeans if you are not prepared to accept the results of soybean injury including possible loss of stand and yield".

I have learned the hard way that 2,4 D has residual effects in the soil even after a few weeks and serious tillage. I once used a pint of 2,4 D per acre along with glyphosate several weeks prior to planting pearl millet and the results were disastrous. I do use it prior to planting Corn with no negative results, mixed according to label instructions of course.

Do you know which weeds is there know and what weeds is likely to be a problem after the soybeans are growing ?