HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Remington 788 .222
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2003, 11:35 AM
akbound

Default RE: Remington 788 .222

The 788' s are well built rifles. I have fired two of them though neither were mine. Years ago my brother-in-law had one in 6mm Remington and it was a very accurate rifle. My Mother' s cousin owned one in .308 Winchester and it was also extremely accurate. Inspite of their plain appearance they were solidly built in addition to being accurate. A rifle you need not be afraid to take hunting.

I do have some experience with the .222 Remington, (but not in a 788). Until the advent of short/fat cartridges (read that PPC) the .222 Remington held nearly every accuracy record fired for small bore bench rest. You give up a little in velocity to the .223 Remington and you certainly can' t find ammo for the .222 as easily as you use to. But the .222 is one of the best shooting cartridges ever designed. If your intended use is for various pest, and/or varmints up to about 40 or 50 pounds you will have trouble finding a better cartridge. In Europe it is a commonly found cartridge for use on the little Roe Deer, (about 40 pounds or so). A very wonderful little cartridge!

Ditto, on that being a fairly good price!