HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hornady 250 FTX
Thread: Hornady 250 FTX
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 05:36 PM
spaniel
Nontypical Buck

The 250 FTX is nothing more than a 250SW with, supposedly, a little harder lead or thicker jacket depending who you talk to. As you know it is not bonded.

You know I shoot almost exclusively Hornaday bullets and if someone asks me about something to shoot deer at 100-150 yds and further they top my list. But for elk, NO. I would recommend the 300gr BONDED SW but not any of the lighter non-bonded bullets. Will they work? Probably. Most of the time. But there are better bullets for the job.

I've posted pics of recovered 200SWs that look a lot like that, the jackets stripped on the far side after going through both shoulders. This is one reason that, for DEER, I like the 200s better as they are longer-for-caliber and therefore hold together better.

The opposite is also true. I shot a deer with a 300SW, hit no bone, and from the wounds it was very clear I got zero expansion. Great elk bullet, too hard for deer.

If you want to shoot a pointy bullet at elk, try the 325gr. It is a nice long, heavy bullet. If the one I shot lengthwise through a deer as 20 or less yds with a MV of 1950 fps could survive with so much retained weight, I would not hesitate to shoot an elk with one.

Personally, I have never been a fan of the 250 SW (and now FTX for that matter). It is in a popular weight range but both the 200 and 300 gr versions are better bullets in almost every way (BC, terminal performance)