HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 7mm WSM VS 7mm rem mag
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Prairie Wolf
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ejpaul1
After owning both wsm and rem mag, I have come to the grand conclusion that: I cant hardly tell the difference between them with the same bullet. They both seem to be accurate, deadly on game and work best with 140-160 grain pills. The only difference I found was that the 140 grainer seemed to come out about 100-150 FPS faster out of the WSM on my rifle. Part of that was the special powders now available for short magnums. The Rem mag seemed less finicky about bullet brand or weight. I'd sacrifice a few FPS any day for accuracy. SOme folks saw the exact opposite in velocity. its too close to call in that respect.

The conclusion? I kept the WSM and got rid of the rem mag only because the WSM was set up to be a mountain rifle, lighter, shorter barrel.

My advice? go with the rem mag if your buying one and get it in a lighter premium rifle. EJ
Well the reason you can't tell the difference is there is very little. I've only owned the WSM version. It has a very slight edge in velocity according to hodgdon data, but the real world difference is nothing.

I'm not going to fight for the WSM over the standard version.