HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 7mm Mag. Deer caliber?
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 09:52 PM
iSnipe
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by driftrider
Anyone who tells you that the 7mm Mag isn't sufficient for hunting deer is a flat out moron.
Then I'm your huckleberry.

Once witnessed a high shoulder hit, broadside. NEVER have I seen so much damage from a shot before.

Both sides of the prime backstraps towards the front were toast. Both shoulders were a total waste as the bullet fragmented and not only was there physical damage, but the blood shot collateral damage was totally amazing. I have never seen so much damage to meat before in all my seasons.

So, I say a 7mm Mag isn't a sufficient deer caliber because it has way too much knock down power.... more than enough needed for a thin skinned, thin ribbed whitetail. Many deer have fallen from .223's, .243's and 30-30's that clearly shows calibers that have "sufficient" killing power.

Now if they're out there 300-600 yards, then, now we're talking 7mm Mag's and others.

Your 7mm Mag will work ok. Just keep it in the vitals, off the shoulder(in my opinion) and you should be eating some fine venison... and if you're lucky, a brute to put on the wall.

iSnipe