HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Field dressing a bear?
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 04:20 PM
crokit
Nontypical Buck

I've killed three bears in my life [ never again } and getting them out of the woods is no picnic. Picture trying to drag 250lbs of jello in a bag that holds 400lbs of jello. If the ground isn't flat, you got your hands full. Unlike deer, the short legs of a bear offer no stability when dragging; they constantly want to roll. The thing that really surprised me was how small the lungs are, compared to a Adirondack bucks lungs! Be prepared for the shock when you see your first hanging without the hide. Eerily like a human! As far as eating, the first bear I took was the best tasting wild game I had ever had, up to that point. You have to get ALL the fat off, as it is greasy, much like bacon. The last bear I got, you couldn't even stand the smell of it cooking.

Don't get me wrong, it's a challenge to target bear, especially without bait, and is very rewarding. I'm just not into the 6+ miles of work getting them out, without the option of motorized vehicle. Now, mature buck is a whole different story!

Last edited by crokit; 08-29-2009 at 03:14 AM.