HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - entrance/exit wound myth?
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 04:02 AM
Edcyclopedia
Nontypical Buck

Never payed to much attention to it. As was my goal was to kill the animal and if I could gut the animal it was a success...

The only time I noticed it was on 4 deer I killed on an Alabama deer hunt when shooting my .270 w/ 140 gr. silver tip boat tails.
This bullet broke into 4 or 5 pieces on every deer. A few were just a rib that deteriorated the bullet. So I dumped that cartridge once I returned home.

Obviously you want a bullet that expands for the type of game you are trying to kill, but not explode. Bigger bones will obviously make the bullet expand more, as everyone can imagine...

Another deer that I killed with 180gr Nossler out of my .30-06 @ 15 yards passed through the chest cavity on a quartering away shot and the final exit wound was the far shoulder. After recovering the deer the only thing left of that far shoulder was a tendon connecting the the leg to the body. A much better scenario in my opinion.

Sometimes you have to get a real life experience to prove your theories, as the manufactures ALL say they have the "BEST" bullet. Remember, marketing sometimes governs our thought process, but research and experience can prove otherwise!