HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tar Hunt Slug Gun
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2009, 07:00 PM
DeerandbearhoG
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
My hunting buddy picked up a tar Hunt. Awesome weapon. The thing I like about it, is it pretty well does away with flyers. Which we all are plagued with due to thin wall slug guns. He got his used for 1800 dollars.

If you have the funds and desire to reach out to 200 yards, its a fine gun.
big ,my theory on what causes flyers w/ sabot slugs, is that the sabot does not always separate from the slug consistently which could probably affect flight more than any other factor, since the projectile is actually already in flight, when sabot and slug separation occurs. I believe this, cause whenever I ve tested sabot slugs, the ones w/ the thinner walled sabots, like lightfields and hastings, seem to be less prone to flyers than the 50 cal slugs sqeezed down into a 72 cal sabot, because I believe the thinner sabots break away from the slug easier. I actually took the time once to cut open a lightfield hybred, a brennkee ko sabot, and a winchester partion gold, the golds sabot was very hard to fold back while ,the lighfield peeled back easy and the brennekke slug pretty much fell out of the sabot. guess which one shot the best, yep the brennekke. As far as thin walled barrel Im sure that contributes to flyers, but Ive gotten flyers out of a nef USH and those barrels are as thick as a rear axl on a ford LTD.

On another note Im not positive but I think the same guy ,randy fritz ,who builds tar hunts also develops loads for lightfields, so they might be a good place to start looking for a slug to shoot out of it.