HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How far is an avg shot distance for elk?
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 04:07 PM
DeerandbearhoG
Nontypical Buck

Ive never shot anything bigger than a hog, but a few things to consider about any recently introduced calibers is 1) Do you really want to buy a rifle that not many places stock ammo for, or even find anywhere in 3years? (ala 308 marlin express -big flop-) 2) How much will a box of ammo or brass, dies, etc, cost? Im no gun expert ,but if you do a little research, youll notice the less common, a caliber is, the more expensive it is to shoot, in most cases. These days ammo and components are not cheap ,but the cheapest big game calbers to shoot are the 3006, 308, 270, 3030 243. The 06, 08, and 270 will probably do anything that a pokey 338 will do, mabye better, as they have a higher secional density and velocity.
3) Is there already several calibers that fill the niche, and are more proven and readily available? (ala 338 federal ,350 rem mag,358win,35whelen,8mm mauser)

Also Ive owned a few marlin levers, good guns but they are not really the best platform for scope use, a bolt gun or semi auto would serve you much better , but if I just had to have a lever gun for big stuff, I would choose the ol 45/70, its been around almost as long as elk themselves,and killed alooooooooooooooooooota buffalo in 1800s. How about a browning lever action in 358 win? classy gun and classic caliber. Or a remington 7600 (pump) in 35 whelen...I always wanted one of those.

Hey heres an idea, mabye I should shut up, and go after an elk myself Is 7-08 enough