HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - how will the moon affect elk?
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 12:16 PM
cherokee_outfitters
Typical Buck

Default RE: how will the moon affect elk?

This is what happens in my areas of colorado atleast. When the moon is 3/4 to full the elk feed during the night more so than normal. Which causes bedding late into the day and the evening activity is less before the shooting hours have ended. But the main reason I love the full moon is the elk tend to feed into the late hours of the night. Thus making there second feeding of the early morning hours later. Which in fact makes them stay out in the open morning almost an hour longer. Elk tend to feed into the dark hours and up before daylight feeding again without the moon. With the moon at it's brightest this changes their habits just enough to make a better morning hunt than an evening hunt. It's more of a biological thing with the digestion before the elk starts to feed again. Mainly on areas where elk feel the pressure of predators. I've seen elk feed all day in other areas without pressures and safe times to feed. Just like cattle they chew their cud inbetween feedings. I prefer the full moon when hunting. But I also prefer the morning hunts to evening ones too.