HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Traditins Hawken Woodsman
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Mr.Flintlock
Fork Horn

Default RE: Traditins Hawken Woodsman

As sabotloader pointed out, standard sizes of roundballs are .490 and .495. You can buy moulds for these sizes as well as custom sized balls. Pre- lubed patches come in standardthickness of.010, .015, .020.
And, as sabotloader also pointed out you need to try diffrent combinations of ball/patch/powder/lube and see what works best in your rifle.

When using patch/ball combination I like to use a combination that loads fairly easy with a short starter. If the ball/patch is too loose it may not be accurate and if it is too tight you may have to hammer it in and that will most likely deform the ball causing it to be out of balance and cause inaccuracy.

If you want to make your own patches Wal-Mart sells pillow ticking that works well for me. Lubes can be crisco, animal fat, Olive oil and there are several commerical lubes that work well. Lately I have been experimenting with a 50/50 mix of olive oil and water. This seems to work pretty well . I put the mixture in a squeeze bottle and shake it before putting it on to the patch. With this mixtureI seldom have to swab between shots.

Have fun experimenting and good luck.