HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Traditins Hawken Woodsman
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 07:37 AM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Traditins Hawken Woodsman

Powerfisher

Lets start with the ball & patch. For a .50 does the ball have to be like .490 or anything? The patch, wet, dry, lubed? Also, can I shoot Conicals with no patch? I will be using T7 FFg and #11 percusion cap. Any and all info welcome.
There are some real experts on this on this board, so the information I provide can easily be overidden by others...

First question... .490 round ball, there is also a .495 round ball.

The patch... I am using a pre-lubed patch but I also add some of Cayugad's Moose Milk so the patch is a bit damp. I use a .018 patch, actually Dave suggested that size a long time ago for me but I thought the .015 patch loaded better... I shoot a 50 cal Renegade.

The key is to find the right size of patch and ball combination for your barrel. I tried some .495's and to load them them I would have to use a very thin patch so I am using a .490 ball and a .018 patch.

Now conicals! I can help a little bit more with. I shoot 460 gr. -.503 Bullshops from my Renegades (I know it sounds terribly heavy) and I do use a shot card between the powder and the base of the conical. I do that for two reasons. 1- it keeps the concical lube from contaminating the top of the powder, especially in warm weather. 2- I am shooting T7-3f, which is really hot powder so the shot card helps to insulate the bottom of the lead bullet so I am not melting lead on the way up the bore.

Have fun with that Woodsman - i had one once and it is a good rifle...