HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Remington 700 action screw question
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 03:17 PM
driftrider
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Remington 700 action screw question

I wish I had a torque wrench, but since I don't I've found the following procedure works well. Install action in stock ensuring the action is fully seated. Start each screw by hand, then turn with an allen key with very little torque until they just start to snug up. Then hold the rifle vertical (muzzle up), and while holding the action and stock together with one hand, LIGHTLY tap the rifle butt on the ground. This seats the action and recoil lug against the stock. Now, without moving the rifle from the vertical, snug the action screw closest to the muzzle down until finger snug. Then tighten the rear action screw finger snug, followed by the rearmost screw (the one at the rear of the trigger guard). Now tighten the front screw again another 1/8-1/4 turn, followed by the rear action screw the same way.

You don't need an 800 pound gorilla to tighten the screws. Just snug enough so they'll hold the action firmly in place and not back out. I carry a set of allen wrenches in my range bag and check the action screws after the first few shots to make sure they aren't backing out (which they never have) after reassembling the stock and barreled action.

Mike