HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 454 Casull lever action rifle
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 06:54 PM
driftrider
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 454 Casull lever action rifle

454 Casull is more than powerful enough to take deer when fired out of a revolver. Out of a carbine rifle where you could reasonably expect to gain 200-300 fps over handgun velocities, it'll be even deadlier. While a carbine length lever gun in 454 Casull would certainly be deadly to deer to at least 200 yards, I'd be a little nervous about touching off a bunch of full throttle 454 Casull loads in a rear locking block style lever action. The 454 Casull is rated to 64Kpsi, the same as many magnum CF rifles, and it needs a STRONG action to hold everything together like a magnum CF rifle. Most rear locking block lever guns are not strong enough to handle these pressures with a reliable safety margin. I'd be thinking with every shot that if the receiver, locking block or bolt fails under that kind of pressure, there would be absolutely nothing stopping the 64,000 psi in the chamber from driving that bolt straight through my face at high velocity. It's a good idea (putting the 454 Casull in a lever gun), but I'd prefer to see it in a stronger action like the Browning BLR or a resurrected Savage Model 99. That'd be something.

Mike