HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Model 59 Winchester shotgun
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 06:19 AM
Pygmy
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Model 59 Winchester shotgun

Yeah, It's fiberglass...It's a thin steel tube wrapped with miles and miles of glass fiber, which was made by Corning Glass Works... There used to be a M59 hanging in Corning's Museum of Glass...

I bought one used in 1963...It had less than 100 rounds through it and I paid $105 for it...It was my main upland and waterfowl gun for years and years...I killed a truckload of crows and ducks with it, along with all kinds of other critters, including my first turkey and my first goose..

It was based on Winchester's M50, which featured a "floating chamber" like the M1 carbine...The M50 was all steel, and the 59 had an aluminum alloy reciever and the fiberglass barrel...Muzzle light but VERY fast to get on target...Mine was always dependable and seldom malfunctioned..I still have it ...

These guns were only made from 1959 to 1963...Another innovation introduced with the M59 was interchangable choke tubes.. They are pretty much standard today, but in the early 60s they were something new...The M59 was offered with a "winchoke" option...Tubes were available in IC, Mod, and Full.. You could also get the gun with fixed chokes...Mine is threaded for the winchokes and I have all three tubes..