HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Just For Fun - Ballistic Calculator Comparison
Old 03-25-2009, 10:04 PM
driftrider
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Just For Fun - Ballistic Calculator Comparison

Underclocked,

You values may show different because you set it up for a 200 yard zero. The other charts used a 145 yard zero to achieve MPBR. Though the total drop is different, and that isn't dependent on the range of the zero. I think that it's just a slight difference in the drag models used by the various ballistics algorithms.

Just for s**ts and giggles, I punched the data into both the ballistics calculators I have on my Palm, and go the following result for the 200 yard drop:

Program A: .-9.74", 29.17" total drop, TOF 0.42 seconds. It also calculates the max ordinate of 3.20" at 85 yards, and the bullet reaches -2.98" at 167 yards.

Program B (which is remarkably similar to ExBal): If you use the "Solve Zero Ranges" function, which calculates the optimum near and far zeros for MPBR, you get a near zero of 16 yards, far zero of 143 yards, max ordinate is at 83 yards, and the MPBR is 166 yards. The mil-dot range solver shows that, with a 145 yard zero, and all the other parameters, the output shows the drop as -9.06" below LOS, with a wind drift (5mph, 90deg) of 8.24".

All pretty close, but no right one exact. However, the differences aren't so great that any of them, assuming one version is accurate, would cause a miss on a deer sized target at 200 yards.

Mike